Here is one of the best compilations of Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s misdeed while in office. Please spread the word. -LW
– Tried to allegedly bribe a standing MP who was dying (Chuck Cadman) with a million dollar life insurance policy (Harper classified this as “replacing financial considerations lost during a possible election”) to try to get Cadman to vote with the Conservatives (after they had turfed him out of the party previously, and Cadman was re-elected as an independent, by the way). Harper was cleared by the RCMP, but as this is noted on his Wikipedia page, it is noted here.
– Prorogued Parliament to avoid a no-confidence vote from other MP’s, twice (2008 and 2010), with many saying that he did it to avoid democracy and the Afghan detainee inquiry.
– Appointed a number of sitting Senators who are now at the heart of the Senate spending scandal (Boisvenu, Duffy, Wallin, among others)
– Was found to be in contempt of Parliament in 2011
– Scrapped the long-gun Registry in its entirety, despite pleas for law enforcement for the data contained therein.
– Scrapped the long-form census in 2011, citing privacy reasons.
– The Robocall scandal that kept people in rural areas from exercising their right to vote.
– Gutted research funding and has silenced Canadian researchers about their research entirely (including to other media, other researchers, and to the public) by having them followed and threatened.
– Gutted environmental laws and policies and cut the budget at Environment Canada, especially being very vicious towards anything relating to climate change.
– Exercises a iron-fist like grip over the media and the existing Freedom of Information Act.
– Helped create, support, and enact numerous bills in parliament that have created not only a second-class citizenship (Bill C-24), but destroyed the very fabric of what makes Canada great (Bill C-51).
– Has not instructed the CBSA to stand down in the case of Jose Figueroa and countless other refugees who fled war-torn countries for a better life in Canada only to be denied and called terrorists when there is nothing in their history to indicate that they participated in activities of terrorism at all.
– In 2006, Harper violated the spending limit during the election.
– Turned a $16 billion surplus into a $56 billion dollar deficit under his leadership.
– Has cut funding for women’s and minority groups by 40%, effectively keeping them from having a legal voice and also causing them to shut down 12 out of 16 offices.
– His Economic Action Plan has benefitted only the richest 1% in Canada.
– Weakened food regulations so that more residue from harmful chemicals can be left on your food.
– Fires whistleblowers for alerting the public about regulation changes or unsafe nuclear reactors.
– Lied about the actual cost of purchasing 65 stealth fighter jets in Parliament.
– Refused to sign the UN declaration of clean water as a Human Right.
– Did not cut $1.4 billion in tax breaks that he gave to oil companies, yet cut $1.2 billion from the establishment of National Childcare.
– Cancelled the Kelowna accord, meant to help First Nations peoples and improve their health and education with almost $5 billion in funding.
– Destroyed Canada’s international reputation as peacekeepers, when it was made public that Afghan detainees were handed over most likely to be tortured.
– Wants to enact mass scale internet surveillance and has tried to do so (and been defeated) 4 times.
– Increases spending on prisons, and decreases funding for rehab programs.
– Renamed the Government of Canada to the Harper Government in 2010.
There are many more, but I think this is enough to show our soon to be former Prime Minister to the door.
The people of Canada will soon speak, Mr. Harper, and they will ultimately say that it’s time for you to go.